Request for Comments
USDA Forest Service, Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest, Chattooga River Ranger District, Rabun County, GA
Upper Warwoman Landscape Management Project
District Ranger Edward Hunter is asking for comments on the proposed Upper Warwoman Landscape Management project, located approximately 4 miles east of Clayton, GA. The primary purposes of this project are to: restore and maintain shortleaf pine/table mountain pine/pitch pine and dry-mesic oak woodland communities; maintain and regenerate oak and oak-pine forests; improve wildlife habitat by providing a diversity in successional stage habitats; and to improve soil and water conditions, and associated aquatic habitat.
This project will be accomplished by the following management actions:
1. Vegetation Management - 1,233 acres (1,168 acres commercial timber sales; 65 acres non-commercial timber sales)
2. Fisheries Enhancement 7.5 miles of habitat enhancement; 1 open-arch culvert installed; 1 embedded culvert installed; 4 culverts removed
3. Controlled Burning 6,033 acres new; 2,701 acres existing
4. Wildlife Opening Daylighting / early-successional habitat (ESH) creation 70 Acres ESH creation
5. Soil and Water Improvement 11 miles road reconstruction/daylighting; 2 miles road decommissioning; 8.2 miles access management; 1 mile road relocation
Comments on this project must be postmarked or received within 30 days beginning the day following publication of this notice. The decision on this project will be issued after consideration of comments as well as the results of an environmental assessment. Written comments should be sent to: Chattooga River Ranger District, Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests, Attn: Mike Brod. Comments by letter, phone or in-person are accepted at the District Office, 9975 Hwy 441 South, Lakemont, GA 30552, (p) 706-754-6221 ext 101, business hours M-F, 8:00-4:30. Comments can also be emailed using the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Thank You for your interest in YOUR National Forest.